OK, we may be biased, since our name is Unique Upholstery Carpet & Rug Cleaning. But, we really do love carpet! Another guy who loves carpet is Doyle Bloss, now marketing manager for U.S. Products, a manufacturer of hot-water carpet extractors. He recently wrote about the 10 benefits of carpet, and we couldn’t agree more.
Here are Bloss’ 10 benefits of carpeting for home or business:
- Appearance: Carpeting adds to the décor of the home or business by using color, patterns, and pile heights. The carpeting can really create the image you want.
- Style: With the hundreds of patterns, cuts, and colors, there are literally thousands of possibilities to “fulfill” the style statement
- Insulation: Carpet can help save energy as it is an important contributor to the insulation of the indoor environment. Carpet insulates floors as it provides a psychological feeling of warmth.
- Feel: Try curling up in front of the fireplace on a hard surface floor. Carpet feels good, soft, and easier on the feet. It also gives a “softer” feel to the home.
- Acoustics: Several studies find that carpets absorb sound and carpets with padding further enhance this ability.
- Safety: Invariably, slip-and-fall accidents occur on hard surface floors, not carpeted floors
- Cost savings: According to the IICRC, carpet usually costs less over time than hard surface flooring to purchase, clean, and maintain.*
- Health: Carpet traps allergens, dust, and other contaminants, holding them until they can be properly removed. Easier to maintain: Carpeting is less labor intensive to clean and maintain than hard surface flooring and, because of this and as mentioned, can cost less to maintain as well.
- Sustainable: New technologies have been introduced allowing old carpet to be recycled into new carpet or other products; according to one manufacturer’s study, of 121 million pounds of worn carpet collected, 85 percent was recycled into new carpet, eliminating the need for acquiring raw materials.
* A 2003 Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification study found that, on an annual basis, hard surface floors require 2.5 times more cleaning time than carpet, and cleaning supplies were about seven times more expensive for vinyl floors than for carpeted floors. While, generally speaking, the purchase and installation costs are more expensive for carpet than hard flooring, carpet expenditures prove to be more cost-effective over the full life of the product.
If you love your carpet, live in the Chicago North Shore or Northwest Suburbs, and want to keep your carpet as beautiful and wonderful as it is, give us a call! You will not be disappointed in our service!!
And, if you want to buy new carpet, we can recommend the best flooring provider and installer in the area.